A Holiday for the Latin People

Today is the day of the big immigration protests, and where I am in Los Angeles it's pretty quiet so far. Random thoughts:

  • There was hardly any traffic.
  • One of my coworkers didn't come in to work, but I'm not sure if it's because of the protests.
  • The guys who are installing our tile aren't working today. The (Israeli?) sales rep said it was because today is "some kind of holiday for the Latin people."
  • I love the t-shirts the protesters are wearing, with the yellow traffic sign that warns drivers of immigrants crossing the freeway.
  • I debated staying home today, but I wasn't willing to give up the vacation time and calling in sick would be dishonest. I'd feel guilty all day and that would be no fun. I guess I can show my support by not buying anything, even though we need groceries. Yes, sometimes you have to make tough sacrifices.
  • Our Mexican-American friends Rene and David, who are helping to renovate our house, aren't working, and they confirm that there are big rumors of immigration raids today.
  • I'd like to hear coverage of the protests on the radio, but I can't stand the non-stop immigrant-bashing on KFI and KABC.

0 comments: